Determining Which Physical Drive Matches Which Logical Device

Curtis Doty Curtis at GreenKey.net
Mon Jan 1 19:37:20 UTC 2007

12:17pm vamythguy said:

> On 1/1/07, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 23:50:56 -0800,
> >   Curtis Doty <Curtis at GreenKey.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Is your original question simply how to identify /dev/sda and /dev/sdd?
> >
> > If so, /dev/drive/by-id will have a list of sym links named by serial
> > number that point back to the /dev/sd? entries that you should be able to
> > use to identify which physical drives you want to pull.
> >

> Thanks.  Yes, that's what I want to know.

To be pedantic, it's /dev/disk/ and you probably want to inspect all by-*/
subdirs. Some controllers may not report a disk by-id, but you would
probably still see it in by-path/.

../C