Multimedia controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 4d52 ??

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Jan 2 01:55:27 UTC 2007

William Case wrote:
> Hi:
>
> 'lspc1' returns  "Multimedia controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown
> device 4d52".  The unknown device is a TV Wonder 550 that has been
> installed and works properly in WindowsXP.
>
> 'lsmod' returns no bttv or bt878 drivers.
>
> As far as I can tell, from the ATI site and the tvtimes site, it should
> be using the bttv driver, but this is not entirely clear to me from
> their documentation.
>
> GATOS is not applicable.
>
> Can someone tell me how to get this TV Tuner card installed and working
> in Fedora Core 6?  Do I have to modprobe?  What?

There is generally no harm in loading kernel modules for experimentation.

For example, in your case it would be fine to:

# modprobe bttv
# dmesg | tail -20

and see if the driver finds the device.
If not, try the other ones.

Its easy to spot when a driver recognizes a device.  If it does not,
dmesg simply says driver loaded.

If the driver does list information about the device, then you need to
make an appropriate entry in /etc/modprobe.conf to make sure it comes up
properly on future reboots.