Question about file system permissions

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Tue Jan 2 19:17:52 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> .... But as you have
> noticed, it does not work out as well when editing shared files.

Oddly perhaps, Unix has never really provided shared writeable files.
Perhaps there are good theoretical reasons for it; perhaps it was just
one of those simplifying assumptions that Unix was born with, I don't know.

That's why access to shared writeable resources are controlled by a
server, like CVS or svn or mysql. It's why you don't print using cat >
/dev/lpr.

People seem to want to do things like this--they keep asking for
applications to mediate between users editing the same file, like
Windows does it, but I wonder if it's such a great idea.

<Joe