How to configure linux box as vlan based switch

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Wed Jan 3 04:13:12 UTC 2007

Manoj Kumar wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Wish you all a very happy new year.
>
> I'am trying to test a VLAN based network. Hence, i wanted to know if it
> possible to configure a Linux Machine with multiple NIC card (i.e.,
> ports)
> to be configured to behave as a switch. If it possible then how to do the
> same any know resource where i coudl get some material on the same.
>
> Secondly, if it possible to configure it as a switch then is it
> possible to
> configure as VLAN based switch. And also know resources for the same.
>
> Thank you,
> regards,
> manoj

VLANs? you want to do Dot1Q? and use multiple virtual interfaces (ie
eth0.2 eth0.3 etc)?  If so look at vconfig.  Then just assigned
different ip addresses (and network numbers) to each physical (or
virtual) nic.

Also you will need to enable IP forwarding as I believe it is off by
default, issue the command:

*echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

*