kpilot on FC6

Matt Davey mcdavey at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 3 10:02:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 10:34 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 09:57:18 -0600
> Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:
>
> > > My second guess is that it's a timing problem between the sync
> > > initiation by your device, and the udev-created ttyUSBx devices
> > > appearing and being ready for action.  These kind of problems have been
> > > annoying and have fluctuated with udev releases.
> >
> > I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if that is indeed the problem.
>
> I tried gpilot, and  it actually started transferring data.  However it stalled
> before completion and refused to work again after that one time.

It's rare to hear of stalling mid-sync.  The only common example I can
think of is where certain pdb/prc files would fail to back up because
they contained illegal code segments > 64k.  I think the redhat
pilot-link 0.11.8 is patched to workaround this issue, as is 0.12.x.
Can you rule out hardware faults?  Do you have a working windows setup
with the same hardware?

> I really believe that you are right in that it is a timing issue.  As I said
> earlier, I went through this with FC4 and basically waited it out until FC5
> when it started working again, but now with FC6 I'm once again back where I was
> before.

I assume you've checked to see if there are any kernel / udev updates?
There's an updated gnome-pilot (2.0.15) in rawhide that attempts to
workaround some of the timing issues.

Matt

Matt Davey		Diplomacy is letting them have it your way.
mcdavey at mrao.cam.ac.uk