DVD problem

tokyoi at mac.com tokyoi at mac.com
Wed Jan 3 16:09:45 UTC 2007

On 3 Jan 2007, at 10:44, Anne Wilson wrote:

>> [snip] I haven't tried vlc yet.  What I have done is removed xine
>> and everything
>> related that I could find that came from livna and installed the
>> freshrpms
>> versions, so that everything matches.  I have
>> ffmpeg-0.4.9-0.7.20061215.fc6
>> and faad2-2.5-1.fc6 which I believe are the freshrpms versions.
>> Unfortunately it has made no difference.  Xine still tells me
>>
>> The source seems encrypted, and can't be read.
>> Your DVD is probably crypted.  According to your country laws, you
>> can or
>> can't install/use libdvdcss to be able to read this disc which you
>> bought.
>> (Media stream scrambled/encrypted)
>>
> On top of everything else, the change has broken mjpegtools.  It
> was, of
> course, uninstalled and had to be reinstalled, but it is no longer
> possible
> to edit an avi file with 'glav -p S filename.avi'.  I'm sick of
> this kind of
> fighting.  It looks as though I'd be better off compiling
> mjpegtools from
> source.

I suspect that you may be better off re-installing xine as per the
standard livna package and trying another way of de-crypting the BBC
disks. It may be of little help or consolation to you but I have had
the same problem with BBC disks -- I have a 1992 set of DVDs which
xine chews on for (what seems like) half an hour before returning an
error message. VideoLan didn't fare any better either. I haven't
tried newer disks from the Beeb but am not holding out any hope. They
are obviously encrypted in a commercially advantageous way because
they work fine in my iBook and in my "real" DVD player, a Marantz. I
have started installing dvdrip from freshrpms but am still having fun
working out the bits and bobs of missing library files ... :-)

Best wishes,

Ian