ntfs-3g and rw access to ntfs disks, kernel 2.6.18-1.2869.fc6

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 22:56:10 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have installed the ntfs-3g package from Extras, but when I try and
mount the ntfs volume (as root), this happens:

# ntfs-3g /dev/hda1 /media/windows

fusermount: 'fuseblk' support missing; try the kernel module from
fuse-2.6.0 or later
Failed to create FUSE mount point: No such file or directory
Retry to create FUSE mount point ...
fusermount: 'fuseblk' support missing; try the kernel module from
fuse-2.6.0 or later
Failed to create FUSE mount point: No such file or directory
ERROR: The FUSE kernel module 2.6.x is not available. Either remove the old
       FUSE kernel module (use the command 'rmmod fuse') if you have the new
       one, or compile the new module from the FUSE-2.6.x source package.
       Please see the FUSE README file and the below web page for more help:

                  http://www.ntfs-3g.org/support.html#fuse26

Unmounting /dev/hda1 ()

/media/windows exists. I tried chmod 777 /media/windows, no change. I
tried setting SElinux to permissive. No joy.I'm a bit out of ideas
now. Anyone have any suggestions? This is kernel 2.6.18-1.2869.fc6.
Has something gone wrong with kernel builds such that fuseblk support
wasn't built in with the latest kernels? This was working on FC-5.

Jonathan