MS office Under Linux

Patrick flymooney at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 02:32:33 UTC 2007

Les wrote:

> <snipped lots of "complex data">

> 	Grammar checkers can do some interesting things, and they can improve
> clarity, but they do not make one accomplished in language.  However,
> their value for a non-native speaker is considerable.

> Regards,
> Les H

   To jump back into the thread; grammar checkers should not be relied
upon by non-native speakers for important messages. As has been noted,
they have questionable value when writing something which is being used
to promote a professional image. If you are writing emails to a mailing
list, then they are fine and incorrect language is usually excused. If
you are writing to a business prospect, then there is no substitute for
a native speaker checking over your work before sending it out. If our
company does a presentation utilizing references to another language, I
always hire one of the local college students who is from that area to
double-check our work. Being American and dealing mostly with
businesspeople who speak English, I do not have too much of a problem.
But if I was in another country trying to woo an English-speaking
company, you can be sure that relying on Microsoft to correct my
correspondence is way too much of a gamble for me.

Patrick