A really good article on software usability

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Fri Jan 5 15:11:59 UTC 2007

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

>   Where's the Linux software that matches this
> ease of use?  Or that even lets me set up something once by picking
> from a few selections, then never asks again?
A glaring example of this is the Thunderbird prompt as to whether images
should be displayed.  A "learn" function (e.g., "Always display e-mail
images from this sender?") would be wonderful.  Instead, everyday I have
to click "Display images" in order to read my "Daily Dilbert" as well as
several other e-mails.

There are other examples but this is a case where the developers
blatantly ignore how most people use a particular program.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce