A really good article on software usability

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 19:06:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 10:51 -0800, Les wrote:

> As to WordPerfect, why did it die?  Not because of design, nor for lack
> of an audience, but why did it die?  Or for that matter WordStar, which
> IMHO was the very best of the word processors for the English speaking
> touch typist.  I still hate having to invoke the mouse for many
> wordprocessing functions.

Both were years behind the competition in embracing postscript and
variable-width fonts.  And, of course, there was Microsoft's practice
of getting PC vendors to bundle MS office with new computers so
the executives that got new machines first would be using Word
and then demand that everyone else be able to read their documents.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com