Inquiry

tokyoi at mac.com tokyoi at mac.com
Fri Jan 5 23:14:00 UTC 2007

On 5 Jan 2007, at 17:07, ahmed mostafa wrote:

> Hello,
> I am a new user to fedora core 6 "Zod", and I enabled Arabic
> language support while installation, but when I opened
> OpenOffice.org to enter arabic text I didn't know how to enter it
> (I tried pressing right ALT+SHIFT but nothing happened), I could
> only enter English text. Kindly advise me how to enter Arabic text
> in OpenOffice.org.

Welcome to the growing throng, Ahmed. I can't help you specifically
on Arabic but I do use the CJK (Chinese--Japanese--Korean) part of
the input system. Basically if you have installed the Arabic option
during the installation, Arabic input will be available via the SCIM
facility. CJK input on my system is accessed by pressing Ctrl-Space,
Arabic may have a different default combination to toggle between
Latin and Arabic input. Go to the K-Menu (under KDE -- don't know the
Gnome equivalent off-hand) and then to Settings=>Input Method. Make
sure the SCIM is set as the default (system-wide) and then look under
the Help system (search for "SCIM") and that should give you links to
manual pages for all the languages installed on your system. Whether
you are in OpenOffice or even a notepad application, you can input
Arabic via SCIM.

As I say, I'm not sure if this applies to Arabic, though a quick
Google search for

   SCIM Linux Arabic

suggests to me that it would.

Linux has what they politely term a "steep learning curve" but it's
well worth it!

Best wishes,

Ian

PS When posting messages to the list it helps everybody if you are
more specific with the subject you give your message: "Inquiry about
input methods for Arabic" would, for example, probably have drawn
more responses from around the globe!