seamonkey update in FC5 is broken?

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 18:19:11 UTC 2007

On 1/6/07, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:
> On Saturday 06 January 2007 17:44, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> > >
> > > I did FC5 updates last night, which said it was going to replace mozilla,
> > > and among other updates install seamonkey.
> > >
> > > rpm -ql seamonkey  shows it as /usr/bin/mozilla (shell script) , and sure
> > > enough the shell script is now referring to mozilla-seamonkey.
> >
> > Ah, yes your'e right.  It boggles my mind why they did it in this
> > fashion.  It used to be /usr/bin/seamonkey, and that no longer works
> > without hacking in a symlink to /usr/bin/mozilla.  Plus it broke all
> > the plugins which used to be in /usr/lib/seamonkey-1.x/plugins.
> > *sigh*
>
> That's really frustrating.
>
> Where did you get your original Seamonkey from, which was
> in /usr/bin/seamonkey?  I don't use Mozilla, now Seamonkey, but Konqueror,
> Firefox, or Opera.  I ask because according to my FC5 updates last night,
> this was the first time that Seamonkey was installed. Apt-get showed Mozilla
> being REPLACED, and Seamonkey as NEW.

I had been using seamonkey from extras.  I think seamonkey got
promoted into core as of yesterday, and as a result replaced mozilla,
and created this fiasco as someone thought that creating a seemless
transition for those still using mozilla was more important than for
those who had been using seamonkey all along.

> I have Sun's JRE installed, and have just tried a site that I know needs Java,
> both with Firefox, and my new Seamonkey, and both work ok. Same goes for the
> Internet radio site that uses Realplayer10GOLD.
>
> I hope you havn't had to re-setup too many plugins.

It was just a matter of copying them all from the old location to the
new, so it wasn't too painful .

L. Friedman                                    netllama at gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org