Can't burn CDs

Norm maillist at sios.ca
Sun Jan 7 00:12:16 UTC 2007

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Norm wrote:
>> My HL-DT-ST CD RW GCE-8240B drive will not write to a disk.  The box
>> is a dual boot and when it is in its windoze configuration the drive
>> does write correctly.  FC6 can read data on a disk in the drive but
>> it refuses to read a blank disk  I have tried using both K3b and
>> x-CD-Roast
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "it refuses to read a blank disc". Can
> you elaborate? IOW, please state something like
>
> "When I do xyz, I expect pdq to happen, but what I see is foo."
>
> You might include any error messages.
>
> Be sure to include information about what a "blank disc" is. Is this
> a R/W which you erased in some manner? A fresh recordable? Or what?
>
>> with similar results, Does  Linux have a hardware issue with this
>> drive, the only other thought I have is my cd drive is a slave on the
>> same controller that my DVD drive is a master on and possibly
>> switching them may be the answer.  Before I make the switch I would
>> like to confirm that the problem is not a Linux compatibility issue.
>

> Mike
After a bit of checking I found the problem, a new bundle of CDs I just
bought have a large percentage of unseable CDs in the mix.  This batch
is not as bad as one bundle I bought that ran to over 75 % bad.  I could
understand a few bad CDs in an economy bundle but the number of dud CD I
find in a premium brand is much higher than I would expect.