How to display CLI output on another machine

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 17:38:43 UTC 2007

Nigel Henry wrote:
> I can ssh into my other machine ok, and can edit files, etc, which is no
> problem.
>
> What I would like to do is to have access to what is currently displayed on
> the CLI (Konsole) on machine B. As an example. I run apt-get update, then
> apt-get dist-upgrade on machine B, which runs to completion. The history is
> still on the CLI.  I now need to post the history from the CLI on machine B
> to a mailing list. The email client (Kmail) is on machine A.
>
> Is there a way to display the history that's on the CLI on machine B on
> machine A, so that I can simply highlight the text, then paste it to Kmails
> composer on machine A?
>
> Both machines are next to one another, but at the moment I have to save the
> CLI history on machine B as a text file, ssh into B from A, and use nano to
> display the text file, before I can highlight, and paste the text into Kmails
> composer.

If you do all your work from a machine running X (i.e. ssh to the others
in terminal windows) you should be able to cut/paste directly from
any window to any other.  Aside from being very handy for commands
you want to repeat across machines, you should be able to grab the
output of anything to paste into mail as long as it fits in the
window or the terminal scroll-back size.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com