Crash, Screwy Dependency, Error Message for Livna Nvidia Modules

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 8 10:39:24 UTC 2007

Charles Curley wrote:
> Livna crew, please read the conclusions.
Mmm: I have had no problem with the freshrpms.net nvidia driver
packaging since fc6 release. Since these are built with dkms support,
they automatically recompile during the next boot for any new kernels
received from updates, or updates-testing.

> On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 12:29:41PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 10:57:14AM -0800, oldman wrote:
>>> Charles Curley wrote:
>
>>> if you get i586 as a response, you will have to download the i686 kernel
>>> and manually overwrite the existing kernel using:
>>> rpm -ivh --replacefiles --replacepkgs kernel
---
 > [root at charlesc ~]# rpm -q --queryformat %{ARCH} kernel
 > i586i586i586
---
A more clear {I hope, since I made some adjustments} example of how to
solve this has been written up at:
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bugs/FC6Common  "Common Issues"

> Yum is weird. I rebooted to a back kernel, erased the latest, and went
> to install it:

> [root at charlesc ~]# yum install $(locate kernel-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6.i6)
> Setting up Install Process
> Setting up repositories
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Parsing package install arguments
> Examining /var/ftp/pub/fc6.updates/i386/kernel-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6.i686.rpm: kernel - 2.6.18-1.2869.fc6.i686
> /var/ftp/pub/fc6.updates/i386/kernel-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6.i686.rpm: does not update installed package.
> /var/ftp/pub/fc6.updates/i386/kernel-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6.i686.rpm: does not update installed package.
> Nothing to do
>
> I didn't ask it to update an installed package, I asked it to install
> a new one.
yum cant differentiate between an i686 and i586 version of the same
kernel package. I believe they use at least some of the same file paths,
and hence the conflict / "does not update"

> Running "rpm -ivh" worked just fine.
With or without force or replace ?

> Running "yum install xorg-x11-drv-nvidia" (without rebooting to the
> new kernel) ran fine, except for the mysterious "FATAL: Module nvidia
>
> Recommendations:
>
> * If you must have a specific kernel, the time to test for it is
>   before you start installing, not when you are almost done. This
>   includes testing for architecture.
>
> * If the running kernel is not the one for which the module is
>   compiled, refuse to install at all, and give the user a clear
>   message saying why, and recommend the correct procedure.

Again, the auto dkms module recompilation in the freshrpms package is a
lot nicer. You do have to sort out the i586/i686 kernel install and
kernel-devel once, beforehand.

DaveT