Kopete & video

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 16:22:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 15:54 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I understand that the fedora package for kopete can send and receive webcam
> pictures, but not a full video_sound connection.  I also understand that the
> latest packages from source can manage both.
>
> Has anyone got video working in kopete?  If so, is it the fedora package or
> self-compiled?  It's easy enough on the configuration page, but I can't get
> any sense out of it in use.  I can receive messages that my friend wants to
> send webcam images, and he can see the same from me, but accepting them seems
> to make no difference.
>
> I would think, too, that it would be necessary to open some firewall ports.
> Anyone able to comment on this?
>
> Anne

Anne,

I tried sharing my Logitech Communicate STX webcam under kopete over MSN
messenger network without much luck.
Establishing connection was a real pain in the back side (large number
of retires to get it working) and from time to time my image would
freeze (both in the preview window and on the other end).

For now, I'm using the amsn package which seems to work just fine.

Once I'll have some free time I'll do some testing and report the
problems upstream.

- Gilboa