How to display CLI output on another machine

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Jan 8 21:40:24 UTC 2007

On Monday 08 January 2007 21:54, Scott van Looy wrote:
> Today Nigel Henry did spake thusly:
> > On Sunday 07 January 2007 21:36, Steve Searle wrote:
> >> Around 08:13pm on Sunday, January 07, 2007 (UK time), Nigel Henry
scrawled:

> >> Nigel, I think you are saying that you already have a konsole running on
> >> machine B, displaying on machine B's screen.  And that you want to see
> >> the output that is on this konsole on machine A's screen.
> >>
> >> If this is correct, I don't think you can do it.  You can run a machine
> >> B's console on machine A's screen using ssh, as others have explained,
> >> but if a konsole is already launched on machine B and displayed on B's
> >> screen, you can't "capture" this console and also display it on machine
> >> A's screen. (as far as I know :-)
> >>
> >> Steve
> >
> > Thanks Steve. Your assumptions are correct. The only way I have found
> > from the various suggestions on this thread is to use VNC, so as to get
> > machines B's Konsole showing on machine A, then it's easy apart from the
> > 100% CPU useage when running VNC.
>
> It's possible for stuff to use 100% of CPU if there's not much else
> running, as there's nothing else to take CPU cycles away...check your load
> average instead of CPU useage...also, does the machine seem any slower
> when running VNC? it should be fine...

Machine A running the VNC client is ok, even though using 100% CPU, but if I
try to start an app from machine A that's on machine B the mouse pointer on
machine B running the VNC server is very juddery, and the app doesn't start.
On machine that's running the VNC client the mouse is ok. I can highlight
stuff on the konsole, which is what I was looking to do, and then paste it
into Kmails composer with no problem.

Nigel.