memory problem

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Jan 10 21:04:06 UTC 2007

eng.waleed wrote:
> Hi
>
> The free memory on my server very low and when I check with top and ps
> does not find any process take high memory, how can I optimize the ram
> usage
>
> BR

If you are using the free command to see how much memory is free,
you need to look at the second line to see how much memory is in use
by programs. The way Linux manages memory, there will be very little
free memory. But there is a lot of memory that is used for buffers
and disk cache. If more memory is needed for programs, part of this
memory will be freed up. (As much as is needed.) Remember, free
memory is wasted memory. Linux tends to use "free" memory for other
things to make the system run faster.

Mikkel