building firefox debug package?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 18:49:46 UTC 2007

Ian Malone wrote:
> Tony Nelson wrote:
>> At 5:18 PM +0000 1/10/07, Ian Malone wrote:
>>> Could anyone suggest a way of building a debug build
>>> of Firefox from the updates source rpm?
>>>
>>> I want to do this to help find out why my XPCOM
>>> components wont register with firefox in FC6 while
>>> they did in FC5 (same source, same makefile, still
>>> Firefox 1.5).
>>
>> Do you only need the -debuginfo RPM?
>>
>>     []# yum --enablerepo=\*-debuginfo install firefox-debuginfo
>>

> I've tried it, but what I need is firefox built with
> -DDEBUG type options.

I discovered firefox --debug and tried it with ddd, but it
didn't really tell me anything useful.  After trying in
desperation against a number of gecko-sdks I finally worked
out that I needed to build my component using
'pkg-config firefox-xpcom --libs --cflags'[1] rather than
the gecko-sdk.  Why the SDK no longer works going
from FC5 to FC6 (and had a go at -Wl,--hash-style=sysv with
the latest Mozilla 1.8 gecko-sdk too, just in case) I don't
know.

So, a new question, why should this be the case?  (It'd be
useful to know should I ever manage to put together a component
I want to distribute.)

[1] This was one of the first things I'd tried, but a silly
typo stopped it working.