Fedora 6 is not able to install in PIII, 256MB SD RAM, 1.3GHz

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 19:36:03 UTC 2007

On 1/11/07, Temlakos <temlakos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just Do it wrote:
> > Thanks *Jensen for quick reply!!!
> >
> > I tried.. the same...no office..dev..and server....but fails..
> > tried with only KDE...only GNOME...but fails...
> >
> > Also tried to deselect few un-neccsary package..from custum
> > installation...but fails..
> >
> > :*(  Not working!!!
> > *
> > On 1/11/07, *R. Jensen* <linuxuser at rhjensen.com
> > <mailto:linuxuser at rhjensen.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     Just Do it wrote:
> >     > Fedora 6 installation is not working in PIII, 256MB SD RAM(2
> >     stick), 1.3GHz
> >     >
> >     > Each time I try to install it hang during the installation
> >     time...every
> >     > time at different location....
> >     >
> >     > I try with all possible option available in fedora 6 I
> >     guess....still
> >     > fails..
> >
> >     I have installed FC6 + Eclipse on a 5GB partition on an old Dell
> >     Inspiron 4100 laptop: 256MB of RAM, Pentium III, etc.
> >
> >     I used the graphical installer, from the DVD image of FC6 which I had
> >     used successfully before to install on an old HP Pavilion [Also a
> >     Pentium III
> >     but with 320MB RAM].
> >
> >     However, for the laptop install I unchecked ALL packages (no
> >     office/productivity)
> >     and only after the install succeeded did I install Eclipse and the
> >     GCC tool chain
> >     /libraries.
> >
> >     I don't know if that will help or not.
> >
> >     Richard.
> >
> >     --
> >

> Hold the phone.
>
> How much memory can your motherboard accept? 256 MB sounds like half the
> capacity that a Pentium-3 motherboard ought to have.

That depends on the manufacturer of the motherboard.  Some early
designs were really poorly thoughtout.

> The first thing--the /very/ first thing--that I do when acquiring a new
> system is to equip the motherboard with as much memory as it will accept
> and recognize. 512 MB /minimum/ is what I would recommend.
>
> Temlakos

By the way, I installed/upgraded my K6-2 450 MHz box which has 256 MB
RAM from Fedora Core 5 to 6. Alloted 15 GB of disk for the OS. The DVD
passed the media test but read errors occured multiple times during
the install. I couldn't perform an unattended install so I tried
installing via FTP. That worked for me.

Note: Had to wait one hour after the 'No handlers could be found for
logger "yum.YumBase". ' error message before signs of installer
progress. (Occurs using either DVD or FTP methods.) The upgrade
process took 7 hours to complete. Then new packge updates took an
additional 4 hours.  (Fedora Unity, where are you?)

If you have broadband access or have another box on your network give
either NFS or FTP install a try.  Also try using a separate /boot
partition and EXT3 instead of LVM.