install from HD

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Jan 11 22:57:18 UTC 2007

Tom Spec wrote:
> I thought maybe if I already have an earlier version of Fedora
> installed, I could somehow interrupt grub and "point it" at the area of
> my disk that has the installation ISOs.  Then no media required.

You will still need a boot CD with the iso files installed. The iso
files are raw images of what the CD will be so they have to be mounted
by the boot cd to be usable.

You can probably save the iso files to either a fat32 or an ext3
partition that will not be part of the install and boot from the cd
using askmethod as described in earlier postings. You will select
install from hard drive and then enter the /dev/partition from either a
pulldown menu or need to type in the device locations. If you put the
iso files in a directory, you will need to enter that information also.

There should be some documentation somewhere as to how to install from
hard drive. The organization of the installer was self explanatory for
me but it may not be obvious to another person.

Jim

--
That money talks,
I'll not deny,