FC5, And FC6 won't shutdown completely

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Jan 12 18:57:05 UTC 2007

On Friday 12 January 2007 19:38, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 13:21 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > >
> > > One of my PCs gets a message like that, because it considers the BIOS
> > > to be too old.  Using acpi=force as a kernel parameter got that PC to
> > > work.
> >
> > Hi Tim. Bingo!  That works, at least on the 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 kernel,
> > that I've tried it on up to now. I'll try it later on with the later
> > kernels, but on the face of it, the problem seems to be solved.
> >
> > Many thanks.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> Well I am using 2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 and acpi=force still does not allow
> the machine to shut down. I never had any shutdown problems with the FC5
> kernels so our problems must be different. But there is no doubt in my
> mind it is a problem with the FC6 software. But what I still do not
> know.

Hi Aaron. That's annoying. I thought that both of us might have had the
problem solved.

I've just added acpi=force to the 2.6.18-1.2239.fc5 kernel, and that shuts
down ok. The latest kernel I've got is 2.6.18-1.2257 , but I expect that to
work as well with acpi=force.

When did you install FC6, and replace FC5. I ask because I'm more and
convinced that some FC5 updates have changed the behaviour of kernels later
than the original 2.6.15 one, and how they deal with acpid.

If you upgraded/did a fresh install of FC6 before the updates to FC5 that seem
to be affecting my kernels later than 2.6.15, then perhaps it's possible
you'd be seeing the same problems I was having if you were still using FC5.
This still doesn't explain why acpi=force fails to work on your FC6, but if
as I suspect, a package update is responsible for my FC5, using kernels later
than the original one failing to shutdown completely, then it's also possible
that the same package updated to an even later version may be causing your
problems. I realise that I may be venturing into the Twilight/Xfiles zone
here. Feel free to ignore all this if it seems like I'm talking rubbish.

All the same, I'm going to replace one of my 2 FC3 installs on this machine
with a fresh install of FC5, install all of the kernels I have on the other
FC5 that had the problems, then do the updates a few at a time, until such
time as the acpi problem occurs.

I've already tried this on the other machine that has FC5 on it, but it's a
different machine, different BIOS, and on that machine all kernels booted,
shut down the machine completely, but it's not a fair test, as it's a
different machine.

Just for info, this is what dmesg shows when booting with kernel
2.6.18-1.2239.fc5, and using acpi=force.

Linux version 2.6.18-1.2239.fc5 (brewbuilder at hs20-bc1-7.build.redhat.com) (gcc
version 4.1.1 20060525 (Red Hat 4.1.1-1)) #1 Fri Nov 10 13:04:06 EST 2006
<skip>
IO/L-APIC disabled because your old system seems to be old
overwrite with "apic"
ACPI: RSDP (v000 VIA601                                ) @ 0x000f63c0
ACPI: RSDT (v001 VIA601 AWRDACPI 0x42302e31 AWRD 0x00000000) @ 0x3f7f3000
ACPI: FADT (v001 VIA601 AWRDACPI 0x42302e31 AWRD 0x00000000) @ 0x3f7f3040
ACPI: DSDT (v001 VIA601 AWRDACPI 0x00001000 MSFT 0x0100000c) @ 0x00000000
ACPI: acpi=force override
ACPI: PM-Timer IO Port: 0x4008

Then some time later in the bootup process you get:

Starting acpi daemon                    OK

I may be wasting my time trying to solve this, but will post back on what
turns up from my experiments with a fresh install of FC5. I can't do FC6 yet.
Someone has offered to send me some cdroms for FC6 to save me having to spend
8 days on dialup fetching the iso's.

All the best.

Nigel.