vmware workstation is beating up my disk!

Lonni J Friedman netllama at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 21:39:19 UTC 2007

On 1/15/07, David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> > Anyone else running VMWare workstation in FC6 (x86)?  I've noticed
> > that whenever vmware is running (WinXP), the disk is getting polled
> > every other second non-stop.  it sounds like little men are marching
> > around its so loud & annoying.  Its not a memory/swap thing as I've
> > got 3GB of RAM, and vmware has access to a large chunk of it.
> The host might be running beagle indexing ?

only when vmware is running?  btw, its not, i don't even have beagle installed.

> Does top or win process manager list any interesting items ?

nope

> How much memory do you have assigned to the vmguest ?

about 2.1GB

> Is the win machine set to not do windows updates etc ? {or office indexing}

office isn't installed, but it does have windows update set to run
automagically.  but i really doubt that's the issue, as the disk
polling is non-stop all the time, and windows update isn't always
doing stuff.

> Is the vm guest
>
> I'm running the vmware-server on x86_64 fc6, and vmware workstation on
> another identical x86_64 AM2 ubuntu without seeing that.

err, ok.

L. Friedman                                    netllama at gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org