2 questions about firefox I just have to ask.

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 16 22:48:19 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 16:04 +0000, Mark Knoop wrote:
> On 16/01/07, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Further the Plugins window. Those displayed have no relation to what is
> > in /usr/lib/firefox.x.x/plugins so I ma not sure where the ones I see
> > come from, nor how to get the right ones displayed. And none of this has
> > anything to do with what is displayed in the about:plugins web address.
> > How does one deal with plugins in an organized way?
>
> firefox collects plugins from several places:
>
> ~/.mozilla/plugins/
> /usr/lib/firefox-<version>/plugins/
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
I don't want to be difficult but I know about those places to put
plugins. /etc/mozplugger also gets into the act. But it practice it does
not always work. For example, let us take the RealPlayer10 plugins which
are identified in web pages as nphelix.so  nphelix.xpt.
Placing them in the /usr/lib/firefox-<version>/plugins/ directory.
Initially if I clear the cache then firefox and I load an audio stream
firefox asks me if I want to use RealPlayer or WindowsMedfia Player.
Well it turns out choosing RealPlayer does not work under FC4 but
WindowsMedfia Player does. And in both cases the machine launches
mplayer to play the audio,
In FC6 neither works. Which leaves me confused.

> about:plugins does display a filename for each entry - if you want to
> find where it's living, just do, eg:
>
> locate mplayerplug-in-qt.so
>
> The download actions window _sometimes_ associates plugins with
> filetypes (don't ask me when and why), but it's more for a case when
> you may have checked the "Always use this program to open this file
> type". Eg, try downloading an rpm from a website - firefox will ask if
> you want to download it or open it with the Software Installer.
>
> --
> Mark Knoop
But I want to know why. Does anyone know?

--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>