How NSA access was built into Windows

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jan 17 10:26:08 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 17 January 2007 01:56, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 00:43:20 -0600,
>
>  Rick Sewill <rsewill at cableone.net> wrote:
>> Get the attention of people who can make a difference.
>
>The EFF is involved in several issues related to encryption and might be
>an organization worth supporting to help keep strong encryption without
>law enforcement key escrow legal for individuals and to bring to light
>and limit overly broad government surveilance.

I do, and we all should, support the EFF, as long as they represent our
goals.  OTOH, I'm not in favor of a key escrow that is not somehow
distributed and trackerless as in bittorrent.  Why?  Because a single
point becomes a vulnerability when a single, middle of the night raid,
watergate style, can disable that whole infrastructure in one swell foop.
If the black hats snoop the public key database, all they have gained is
the ability to send me an encrypted message.  Theoreticaly(sp) that
doesn't give them the key to decrypt a message I might send.

OTOH, the bigger the database, the easier it might be to analyze and
recover the private key but I'm not an expert.

I once saw it quoted that an expert was somebody more than 50 miles from
home and carrying a briefcase. I don't qualify on either count. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)