2 questions about firefox I just have to ask.CORRECTION

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 09:06:10 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 19:49 +0000, Ian Malone wrote:
>> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>
>>> So a mystery still exists. Why does the plugin for video and audio/video
>>> streams go to RealPlayer 9 when it is the Realplayer 10 plugins that are
>>> installed. It is a mystery.

Because you also have plugins installed that are reporting themselves
as RealPlayer 9.

> Pardon this top posting what you say below is so contrary to my
> experience that I have to comment in line.

>> The name Firefox reports is the name reported by the plugin,
>> chosen by the plugin writer.  I actually still have the helix
>> version (nphelix.so) in ~/.mozilla/plugins, and about:plugins
>> tells me:
> I know the name seems to agree with you but the RealPlayer web site
> claims that nphelix.so is the plugin for RealPlayer 10 and it is the
> only plugin you get from the install. I have no helix player on my
> machine and my configuration is not done in the mozilla plugin
> directories because it is firefox I want to configure. I am interested
> in a global configurqation so I place my plugins
> in /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.9/plugins.
> about:configure does not produce any lines referring to nphelix nor
> Helix DNA ....
> and that is part of my comlplaint . Only a section on RealPlayer 9
> appears.

There is no about:configure, I wouldn't expect about:config to
show anything to with the plugins, perhaps you mean about:plugins?

For global configuration I'd suggest /usr/lib/mozilla, since it
won't change when firefox gets updated, but just for fun:
# mv ~ian/.mozilla/plugins/nphelix.{so,xpt}
/usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.9/plugins/

...and start firefox, try BBC News and find out it works, so I have
to ask:

>>      File name: nphelix.so
>>      Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible version
>> 0.4.0.622 built with gcc 3.2.0 on Jul 18 2006
>>
>> There's no hxplay binary on this machine though, so it
>> runs realplay instead.  If you run strings on the plugin
>> object file you will be able to see (among other things):
>>
> I see nothing that corresponds to what you list in the two paragraphs
> below.

What object file are you runnning strings on?  Where did you
get it?  Why are you not using the one that comes with RealPlayer?

Have you tried to find the file which Firefox is registering as
the plugin for RealPlayer 9?  How did you get it?

>> 1. moved /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-complex-plugin.so
>>     /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-complex-plugin.so.bak
>>     Similarly for libtotem-complex-plugin.xpt
> I also moved the mplayerplug-in-rm.so out of the way.

You've said you see a RealPlayer 9 plugin.  This is how
mplayerplug-in-rm.so looks when registered:

RealPlayer 9
     File name: mplayerplug-in-rm.so
     mplayerplug-in 3.35
     Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media
     Player streams using MPlayer JavaScript Enabled and Using GTK2
     Widgets

So I think there's still an mplayerplug-in-rm.so in one of the
plugin directories.

In trying to get this to register I also discovered
/etc/mplayerplug-in.conf
~/.mozilla/mplayerplug-in.conf
~/.mplayer/mplayerplug-in.conf (this one isn't on my machine)

~/.mozilla/mplayerplug-in.conf:
enable-helix=1
enable-rm=1

However setting these to zero only prevents mplayerplug-in-rm
from registering; it will not cause it to unregister.  You can
unregister it without deleting the .so file by setting
enable-helix=0 and enable-rm=0 then deleting
~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat to force FF to re-register the
plugins.

<snip>

> Local files are not a problem. The bottom line is that firefox does not
> recognise or use the realplayer plugin and I would like to know how to
> make it do that. I am sorry but nothing in your explanation corresponds
> to what I am experiencing or seeing and I still don't know how to fix my
> problem.

What you are seeing sounds like you have another plugin trying
to handle real.  What filename does about:plugins actually report?

--
imalone