vmware

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri Jan 19 15:13:04 UTC 2007

On Fri January 19 2007 9:59 am, roland wrote:
> I tried this, but it is to complicated and unreliable. I think wine is
> nice wenn you want a ms explorer, office and some standard ms tools
> I think crossover is better.
> But then we tried win4lin. This is a nice product, but apparently not
> stable.
> I think the only stable product is vmware, if one installes it the right
> way.
> Nice thing also is that one can install an operating system and next to it
>   another version. After testing the new version, you just copy the whole
> data from old to new and continue. You even can do this from distance.
> Looks nice to me.
>
> So?

Works for me. I would only suggest that you do this on the highest power
machine you can. I'm running FC6 with vmwareplayer running XP on a dual-core
Pentium D 2.66MHz with 1GB ram. It runs much faster than on my older P4 2.8
GHz machine with 1GB of ram. These days, I mostly leave my XP vm running all
the time and there's no noticeable performance hit for the things I do. I
haven't tried editing video when the vm was open, which is what I do a lot,
but otherwise, I've tested it under a lot of conditions. For most Windows
stuff that I do, I can't discern much difference between doing the same task
in my Linux based XP VM and my dedicated Windows desktop. Your results may
vary, depending on what sorts of databases you're dealing with and such.
Those tech-info databases may be an issue depending on their size, but I sort
of doubt they will be so big as to inhibit performance, but if they're really
big, I suppose they could .
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA