firefox system wide settings: A4 or Letter

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 20 09:43:40 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 20:03 -0800, oldman wrote:
> Go to about:config in the URL Box of Firefox then select
> print.postscript.paper_size
> and edit the default paper size to A4
> close and restart Firefox
> This will work of course for only the person logged in.
> in a file in ~/.mozilla/Firefox/<system.default/prefs.js
> if you want it for all users copy the correct line to
> /usr/lib/Firefox-1.5.0.9/defaults/profile/prefs.js
>
> It might be that FF will store in the /usr/lib.. location if run under
> root (I believe I remember reading that once when I was installing a
> plugin - might not still work)

You really have to ask why Firefox doesn't come WITHOUT its own default
size, and use a system default size, instead.

Your default paper size depends on what you put in your printer.  That
should get set once, by the admin, in the printer configuration.  And
*EVERY* application on the computer should use that, by default, WITHOUT
requiring customisation.

'tis a right pain in the arse having to log in as each user, and
customise several different applications, just so you don't have to
hand-hold a pile of users to get their printing preferences set up
right.

I read messages from the public lists.