Fedora 7: The Linux Knight in Shining Armor?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jan 20 15:47:59 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 14:12:57 +0000,
  "Amadeus W. M." <amadeus84 at verizon.net> wrote:

> The argument 32Gb vs. 24 Gb in the mirrors I don't understand. All current
> mirrors store both core and extras. If core and extras are merged in FC7,
> don't they add up to one and the same amount? Why would the mirrors store
> more (or less)? Would essential packages like the kernel, glibc, and other
> system utilities be stored 3 times (once for each of gnome/kde/server)?
> I suppose not. That'd be wasteful, wouldn't it?

They also store copies of the isos. So if you have a bunch more isos which
are redundant, you end up having more space used by the mirrors. My feeling
is that bandwidth is more of an issue than space, and having lots of
different isos may not impact bandwidth all that much.

Currently I don't think there is an efficent way to build isos on the fly
from the various rpms also kept at the mirrors. Even if there were, the mirrors
would have to want to run that software on the mirrors. One of the reasons
rpms are the way they are is so that the mirrors don't have to run special
software to help manage updates. Otherwise one can imagine ways that when
updating you could get just the changes in packages (rather than changed
packages) to save on bandwidth.