other dvd players

Mark Knoop mpknoop at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 10:32:34 UTC 2007

On 21/01/07, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:
> Christian Langer wrote:
> > I notice on my fc6 machine there are mplayer, videolan, xine,
> > kaffeine, and totem; only one, videolan is capable of playing a dvd;
> > are there any others out there?
>
> kaffeine (and likely some of the others) can/will play dvd's, but only
> if you have the (nonfree) libdvdcss library/rpm installed.

Not _quite_ true: gstreamer based players such as totem can play dvds
if you install gstreamer-plugins-ugly (from livna or freshrpms).

The others (mplayer, xine, etc) can play unencrypted dvds if you
install libdvdread which is free. To play css encrypted dvds you need
to also install libdvdcss (non-free).

In practice, most commercial dvds are css encrypted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content-scrambling_system

--
Mark Knoop