yum Segmentation fault

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jan 22 22:10:03 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 08:11 +1100, Yuandan Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When i use yum for update or check-update, it frequently ended with
> "Segmentation fault". Most time, this was corrected after reboot the
> system.
>
> my kernel is  2.6.18-1.2257.fc5 and yum is  yum-2.6.1-0.fc5
>
> how to fix it?
>
> below is yum update messenge:

> Setting up Update Process
> Setting up repositories
> dries
> [1/4]
> updates
> [2/4]
> core
> [3/4]
> extras
> [4/4]
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Excluding Packages in global exclude list
> Finished
> Segmentation fault

Try the following and see if it fixes it.  As the root user:

	# rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db* (that's two underscores)
	# rpm --rebuilddb

The "rpm --rebuilddb" will take a while to complete.  Then try your "yum
update" and see if it's better.

-  A friend said he climbed to the top of Mount Ranier.  My view is  -
-    that if there's no elevator, it must not be that interesting.   -