yum Segmentation fault

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jan 22 23:41:32 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 10:03 +1100, Yuandan Zhang wrote:

> On 23/01/07, Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
>         On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 08:11 +1100, Yuandan Zhang wrote:
>         > Hi,
>         >
>         > When i use yum for update or check-update, it frequently
>         ended with
>         > "Segmentation fault". Most time, this was corrected after
>         reboot the
>         > system.
>         >
>         > my kernel is  2.6.18-1.2257.fc5 and yum is  yum-2.6.1-0.fc5
>         >
>         > how to fix it?
>         >
>         > below is yum update messenge:
>         >
>         >
>         > Setting up Update Process
>         > Setting up repositories
>         > dries
>         > [1/4]
>         > updates
>         > [2/4]
>         > core
>         > [3/4]
>         > extras
>         > [4/4]
>         > Reading repository metadata in from local files
>         > Excluding Packages in global exclude list
>         > Finished
>         > Segmentation fault
>
>         Try the following and see if it fixes it.  As the root user:
>
>                 # rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db* (that's two underscores)
>                 # rpm --rebuilddb
>
>         The "rpm --rebuilddb" will take a while to complete.  Then try
>         your "yum
>         update" and see if it's better.
>

> thanks, it seems that you offered the  fix. so far, none such error
> occur.

Glad to help.  Sometimes rpm mucks up its database and causes both rpm
and yum to either hang or segfault.  The quick fix is to kill off the
old database (the "rm -f" bit) and have rpm rebuild the database from
the header info.  I've actually got a cron job that does that once a day
since it's bitten me so often.

-  Animal testing is futile.  They always get nervous and give the   -
-                             wrong answers                          -