Start only one program at login

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at rogers.com
Thu Jan 25 01:41:06 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 10:20 +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> Get rid of the "&".
>
> The duration of the .xsession script is the duration of your login.
> Normally you would kick off a few things in the background with "&"
> (terminals, browsers, whatever) and finally start a window manager
> _without_ an "&". In this way the script is waiting for the window
> manager - quitting the window manager logs you out.
>
> So you want to start a single app _instead_ of a window manager.

Thank - that's the explanation I was looking for.  I should have
realized that backgrounding the  terminal wasn't what I wanted to do.

Here's what I ended up doing:

exec /usr/bin/metacity --sm-disable &
exec /usr/bin/gnome-terminal --window --full-screen

I think I'm doing that right.  I'm not sure if I should have two exec
lines.  It is working though: when I exit the gnome-terminal, I get
logged out, which is exactly what I wanted.

Now I have to try that with Internet Explorer via wine.  I don't want to
use IE, but a security camera system requires IE in order to access the
web GUI.  The ultimate goal is to have a dedicated user that when logged
in, starts IE, and when closed, logs the user out.

Thanks again for the reply.  I really appreciate it!

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu