how to install FC6 without cdrom? my cdrom is no longer working...floppy works, bios too old to boot from usb flash; computer does have usb though

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Thu Jan 25 02:14:41 UTC 2007

My, that's a long subject line.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 05:42:31PM -0600, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:

>    Hi;
>      How to install FC6 without cdrom?  my cdrom is no longer working...floppy
>    works, bios too old to boot from usb flash; computer does have usb though;
>      I've been trying to setup a ftp or http install but I haven't got that
>    working yet either...

How about a small partition on the hard drive with the flash disk
image on it? I've not tried it, though. Getting it there and making it
bootable will be the trick. I'd use tomsrtbt. Don't forget to mark the
partition as bootable.

Then an external DVD/CD drive or hard drive should do you. Your
computer is probably old enough that its USB port is USB 1.x. If so,
the installation will be slow.