Cannot start laptop - Grub prompt

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 08:26:23 UTC 2007

On 25/01/07, Chong Yu Meng <chongym at cymulacrum.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 03:27 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Thanks. I had to reinstall the OS. And just hitting that damn button
> > nukes anything that's not Windows on the hardrive.
>
> Hi Dotan,
>
> My recent experience with Dell laptops (those with XP) is that they have
> 2 partitions, one of which is a recovery partition that is normally
> hidden. There is either a special key or hot-key combination that will
> kick in the recovery process. Not sure if you may have the budget for
> another hard drive, or if the laptop's hard drive is easily accessible,
> but replacing the default hard drive with a new hard drive with no
> hidden partitions may help. I wouldn't recommend wiping away the hidden
> partition in the default hard drive because you never know when you may
> need to install Windows (maybe just to read badly-formatted reports that
> would not display in OOo).
>
> HTH
> pascal chong

With only 80 Gigs to begin with, I'm not about to dedicate 10 of then
to a hidden partition. I do not need Windows, I do not want Windows, I
will not sacrifice over 10% of my drive to Windows. That hidden
partition is long gone.

Dotan Cohen

http://dotancohen.com/terriblereferrer/index.php
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/637/warrant.html