msttcorefonts install breaks FC6 printing, help!

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 26 05:58:34 UTC 2007

On Thursday 25 January 2007 13:24, Craig White wrote:
>On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 11:00 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

[...]
>[root at localhost ~]# rpm -q msttcorefonts
>msttcorefonts-1.3-4
>
>[root at localhost ~]# /usr/sbin/chkfontpath \
>--add /usr/share/fonts/msttcorefonts
>chkfontpath: /usr/share/fonts/msttcorefonts already in list
>[root at localhost ~]#
>
>I have had the msttcorefonts installed on this machine since day 1
>(FC-6, install via kickstart and using local repo's)
>
>No such problems on my end - must be something with your setup.

The only thing I can see that's different between the FC5 install that's
working and this one that isn't is the stuff that is supposed to be
disabled, selinux stuffs.  On the fc5 box, the /usr/share/fonts directory
has an ls --scontext output of:

system_u:object_r:fonts_t name_of_subdir
for all subdirs with three of them having a final :s0 appended.

/usr/share/fonts oon this broken box, ls --scontext outputs:

system_u:object_r:fonts_t:s0     bitmap-fonts
system_u:object_r:fonts_t:s0     bitstream-vera
system_u:object_r:fonts_t:s0     default
system_u:object_r:fonts_t:s0     dejavu-lgc
system_u:object_r:fonts_t:s0     japanese
                                 msttcorefonts
system_u:object_r:fonts_t:s0     perl

And in the /root/.fonts, it shows:
root:object_r:user_home_t:s0     abogada_loco.ttf
root:object_r:user_home_t:s0     Alexei_CopperplateITC-Normal.ttf
root:object_r:user_home_t:s0     andalemo.ttf
root:object_r:user_home_t:s0     arialbd.ttf
root:object_r:user_home_t:s0     arialbi.ttf
root:object_r:user_home_t:s0     ariali.ttf
root:object_r:user_home_t:s0     arial.ttf
root:object_r:user_home_t:s0     ariblk.ttf

yadda yadda another 100 times.  But selinux is supposed to be disabled.

And I can make a file with touch in any of those directories fc-cache
spits out as unpalatable.

I even tried another version of fc-cache from a different release, it
works exactly the same.

I've stared at restorecon's limited manpage for about a hour now without
the required context/syntax for anything becoming obvious enough to fix
things to match what they should be.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)