Bonding and DHCP on FC5

Jan Hugo Prins jhp at jhprins.org
Sat Jan 27 13:48:53 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to configure a bonding configuration with 2 interfaces using
802.3ad teaming protocol. If I configure it manually it all works fine,
but I can't seem to find the config to make it start during boot and
work with DHCP. Is there someone here that has this working, or is this
something that is not able to work at all?

My current configs look like this:

ifcfg-bond0:
DEVICE=bond0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
IPV6INIT=no
USERCTL=no
TYPE=Ethernet

ifcfg-eth0:
DEVICE=eth0
USERCTL=no
ONBOOT=yes
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
BOOTPROTO=NONE
TYPE=Bonding

ifcfg-eth1:
DEVICE=eth1
USERCTL=no
ONBOOT=yes
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
BOOTPROTO=NONE
TYPE=Bonding

My modprobe.conf contains the following lines:

alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 mode=4 miimon=100
alias eth0 e1000
alias eth1 e1000

After the server has started I now do the following 3 commands to make
it work but this is not the sollution offcourse.

ifconfig bond0 up
ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1
dhclient bond0

Thanks a lot,