Can't play WMV in Kaffeine

Marcelo Magno T. Sales marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br
Mon Jan 29 13:56:35 UTC 2007

Em Segunda 29 Janeiro 2007 10:41, Dotan Cohen escreveu:
> On 29/01/07, Marcelo Magno T. Sales <marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br> wrote:
> > Download and install mplayer codecs from here:
> > http://www.mplayerhq.hu
> > http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/
> >
> > or install the package w32codecs from dries.
>
> Thanks. I downloaded and untared the files, but Kaffiene returns the
> same error. Does this look logical to you:
>
> # pwd
> /usr/lib/win32/essential-20060611
> # ls
> acelpdec.ax          ir50_32.dll                  README
> vssh264core.dll alf2cd.acm           ivvideo.dll
> rt32dcmp.dll  vssh264dec.dll aslcodec_dshow.dll   jp2avi.dll
>    sipr.so.6.0   vssh264.dll atrac3.acm           LCMW2.dll
>    tm20dec.ax    vsshdsd.dll atrc.so.6.0          LCODCCMW2E.dll
>    tokf.so.6.0   vsslight.dll AvidQTAVUICodec.qtx  lhacm.acm
>     tokr.so.6.0   vsswlt.dll BeHereiVideo.qtx     lsvxdec.dll
>    tvqdec.dll    wma9dmod.dll CLRVIDDC.DLL         m3jp2k32.dll
>     VDODEC32.dll  wmadmod.dll clrviddd.dll         mi-sc4.acm
>     vdowave.drv   wmsdmod.dll cook.so              msh261.drv
>     vid_3ivX.xa   wmspdmod.dll CtWbJpg.DLL          msms001.vwp
>      ViVD2.dll     wmv9dmod.dll DECVW_32.DLL         msscds32.ax
>       vivog723.acm  wmvadvd.dll drvc.so              nsrt2432.acm
>       vmnc.dll      wmvdmod.dll dspr.so.6.0          qpeg32.dll
>       voxmsdec.ax   wnvwinx.dll iac25_32.ax          qtmlClient.dll
>       vp4vfw.dll    wvc1dmod.dll icmw_32.dll
> QuickTimeEssentials.qtx      vp5vfw.dll
> imc32.acm            QuickTimeInternetExtras.qtx  vp6vfw.dll
> ir41_32.dll          QuickTime.qts                vp7vfw.dll
> #
>
> I don't want to install from dries as I use Livna and don't want to mix
> repos.

For this single package, there's no mixing problem between these two repos. As
a matter of fact, if you use the protectbase yum plugin and protect core,
updates, extras and livna, you can activate any other repository and work
with them all together with no problems (I do that. I use livna primarily,
but also use atrpms, dries, dribble, plannetccrma, freshrpms and kde-redhat).
However, if you do not want to do this at all, you may want to check:
1. I do not know if Kaffeine looks for codecs recursively. You may want to
copy all of them directly to the codecs directory, and not to a subdirectory
of it, as you have done.
2. Kaffeine may be configured to look for codecs in other place.  Take a look
at Settings -> Xine engine parameters -> Decoder -> Basic options. Mine is
configured to look for the codecs in /usr/lib/codecs.

[]'s
Marcelo