kernel BUG at lib/kernel_lock.c:83! - 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6

Fernando Apesteguía fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 20:24:48 UTC 2007

On 1/29/07, Albert Graham <agraham at g-b.net> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I'm simply reporting this "kernel bug", it seems that whenever NVidia
> drivers are loaded and there's a problem everyone automatically "blames"
> Nvidia for it, and in my experience, Nvidia drivers are very very rarely
> the cause of such problems. I've been using NVidia drivers since  FC1
> (and actually RH 7.1) with very little problems.

Yeah, _maybe_  you're right, but the point is that you can not be sure
that the NVidia driver is not the problem cause you can not audit the
code. If you try to report this but upstream in the kernel hierarchy,
probably you will be required to try to reproduce the problem in a
non-tainted kernel.

> Also, some of these bugs are really hard to reproduce or completely
> unpredictable, just look out some of my previous posts with and without
> tainted kernels.

It's also true.

> As for your useless "tainted" responses, I'm afraid falls on deaf ears,
> if you cannot see the "usefulness" of my posts, please don't respond to
> them.

This is just the "standard" procedure to verify if the problem is in
the kernel itself or in an external module that nobody (but the
vendor) can look at the code.

> Albert.
>
> p.s. shouldn't you be posting in plain text  and not html :)

I don't follow...

Cheers