Anyone using SUSPEND on a Linux Laptop?

Justin W jlist at jdjlab.com
Wed Jan 31 18:32:52 UTC 2007

clemens at dwf.com wrote:
> I have read the cautions in SWSUSP and SUSPEND2, and wonder if
> anyone is actually using either of these on a Laptop?
>
> There seem to be so many caveats,
>     (a) stop devices before suspending, unload drivers
>     (b) USB wont be there when you come back
>     (c) and on and on.
>
> That I have to wonder how useful either of these actually is.
>
> If I were trying to put this on MY machine I would just do the experiments,
> but this is for a friends machine that I am setting up, and I would rather NOT
> install this stuff at all than give him something that would cause more grief
> than
> help.

I use suspend extensively (both to ram and to hard disk). I've only
noticed problems with network connections (both LAN and WLAN because
DHCP doesn't re-run on waking up) and sound (though that deals with a
bug in Flash). All other things seem to keep working. My USB mouse
continues to work during suspends. I don't have any specific problems
with drivers, but I don't have any high tech graphics card which appear
to cause more problem (just a generic Intel integrated video card).

Mostly the functionality will all depend upon the hardware within the
computer.

Hope this helps a bit.

Justin W