Tons of noob FC7 Questions!

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Tue Jul 17 15:06:38 UTC 2007

I'm most recently a Ubuntu user, who recently switched to FC7.  But, I have
some questions that I can't seem to find answers too:

1) How do I automagically add modules?  I need to modprobe uinput to get my
fingerprint reader working.  Right now, I'm doing it in rc.local.  But, I
assume there is a better way to do it, ala /etc/modules in debian distros.
2) Unsupported yum repos?  Are there unsupported repos out there that I can
use to get bleeding edge software?  Right now, I'm missing some things like
afio and mondo rescue.
3) Dual Monitor Setup:  I sometimes use dual monitors, and this is doing
weird things:
   3a)  On one laptop that never moves (always has two monitors), the second
one's wallpaper does screwy things after the screen saver restores.  The
monitors are different resolutions (LCD is 1024x760, and Monitor is
1600x1200), which I think may be causing the problem.  (This may be just a
gnome thing, but it worked flawlessly under ubuntu.
   3b) I'm considering modifying my "travel laptop" to get rid of the
stationary one.  What'd I'd like is this: When I'm traveling, I'd like to
use the monitor port, and xrandr so that I can do presentations.  But, when
at home, in the docking station, I'd like the monitor port to be a dual
monitor.  Is this possible?  Or -- perhaps I should approach it
differently.  Is it possible to turn off the monitor port when traveling,
but bring it up as a 1024 desktop when I want to do a presentation?  I know
-- lots of non-fedora stuff in this one.
4) This one may be a bug:  NetworkManager "went away" on my stationary
laptop.  I was pretty much only using it for vpnc, but now I can't find the
notification window anywhere.  The tray area is there, and the power meter
shows, but no NetworkManager applet.  Ideas?

Guess that's it for now!

-Dave

--
David Frascone