Fwd: Re: [Gimp-print-devel] I have an update problem.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jul 1 03:16:19 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 10:57 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> The fedora track record in that
> dept. concerning printing is spotty at best.  Printing in general seems to
be
> something that sits on the back burner, with a _very_ limited gas supply (eg
> priority) at fedora.

Gene,

Upgrade to Fedora 7, where gutenprint is properly packaged.

In Fedora 6, gutenprint was in Extras not Core -- and so had to be made
to co-exist with the older gimp-print package. (The discussion of why it
was this way has already been had, many times over, on
fedora-devel-list.)

Tim.
*/

Tim, I don't care to do that just yet, I've had sufficient trouble putting F7
on my lappy to not relish that thought just yet.  This is FC6 now, and will
probably remain that way till F8 is out.

The primary mistake in the gimp packaging for FC6 is that you hard coded the
deps to absolutely require gimp-print, when in fact gimp has _no_
dependencies on either gimp-print, or gutenprint.  Both are, for gimp, simply
plugins that enable printing.  Gimp has no deps on either, and can do
everything available in its menu's without either package being installed.

To have cups, kprinter, and all the other myriad print utilities we seem to be
suddenly awash in all using the new gutenprint is simply something I won't
give up just to install a broken gimp update, broken because of these
unwanted, unneeded dependencies on code that has had no maintainer for at
least 2 years now. FWIW, I have been using gutenprint since a couple of
months after FC2 came out.

Because of many improvements to the Epson drivers in gutenprint-5.10 that I
help Robert fine tune back in February by serving as an alpha tester, such as
true borderless printing with full color saturation available anyplace on the
paper, gimp-print will not be installed on this box unless you can assure me
that when its done, I can re-install my personal gutenprint and retain the
quality printing that I _can_ _do_ right now.  Preferably without having to
re-invent all 5 profiles I now have defined for this now elderly c82.

Can you tell me I can go ahead and let smart put it in, and then re-install my
personal gutenprint version without winding up in dependency hell?

I don't think so.  The cure AISI is to remove those false dependencies from
the latest gimp package and re-release it.  Then the user can use which ever
print plugin he would like.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)