is it safe to use non-fedora specific kernel on fedora?

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 2 13:49:36 UTC 2007

Pawel wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day writes:
>> On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Pawel wrote:
>>
>> what do you mean by "+the latest patch"?
>
> For example for kernel 2.6.22, by saying "the latest patch" I mean:
> 2.6.22-rc7

> I asked, because when trying to compile kernel from src.rpm I noticed
> that there is one patch with "fedora" string in its name,
The fedora kernels carry a lot of patches to make various things work
for a wide variety of machines.

> so I wondered why fedora patches kernels with its own patches instead of
> introducing changes to kernel.org.
They do, but might have to wait some non-trivial amount of time before
the patches make it in. Most users want fixes for their own problem
sooner rather than later. Meanwhile fedora users of development /
updates-testing can be running with the patches for real, and hopefully
filing bugzilla.redhat.com entries for any issues that are seen.

Kernel developer davej often places his development kernels in his
people web space - for testing - if you try one and have problems, it is
important to check for an existing bug and if not found file a bug as
soon as possible. {enabled as a yum repository}.
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/projects/fedora/
http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/fc7/RPMS.kernel/i386/
{2.6.21.5 + patches see the build.log to see what is getting patched.}

and for f8devel  {sometimes has debug stuff enabled = slower}
{2.6.21.5 + patch-2.6.22-rc5.bz2 + patches}

The current F8dev build is newer than that again:
{2.6.21.5 + patch-2.6.22-rc6.bz2 + patches} see build.log

DaveT.