OpenLDAP woes

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Jul 3 14:05:04 UTC 2007

I asked a couple of weeks ago for advice on a LAN-wide address-book,
and several people suggested I look at LDAP.

I did this, and it does indeed look like the best solution,
as kmail and other mail clients seem to accept addresses from LDAP servers.

Unfortunately, the openLDAP documentation seems horrendously bad.
I found a few useful web-sites, particularly
"Build an LDAP-based address book",
at <http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/os-dw-linuxldap-i.html>,
"Building an Address Book with OpenLDAP"
at <http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2003/03/27/ldap_ab.html>,
and also <http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/ch5>.

But I'm left with a few small queries,
and am wondering if many Fedora users have gone down this path?
Also, I wonder if there is a mailing list or newsgroup
devoted to this topic, for newbies?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366