nVidia 7300 GT

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Jul 3 19:16:34 UTC 2007

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 10:50 -0700, Michael McGillick wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I have a Mac Pro with Intel-Based processors. The graphics card
>> included with the system was the nVidia 7300GT. Prior to installing
>> Fedora, I bought an ATI X1900 XT graphics card and have successfully
>> used this under both Mac OS X and Windows Vista (few minor issues
>> under Vista, but acceptable). After installing Fedora 7, I've been
>> unable to get my system to correctly use the card and resolution of my
>> 2560x1600 monitor.
>>
>> My question is in regards to the 7300GT. Is this card supported by
>> Fedora 7, meaning will it properly detect and install the drivers
>> during the install process, or does it require some hocus pocus on my
>> part to get it to work properly? I've already gone through this with
>> the ATI card, and have no desire to do so again. I'm not a gamer, so
>> the it's not critical that I have the best card available. I simply
>> want to be able to display my desktop in 2560x1600 and have a nice
>> clean picture and fonts.
>>
>> I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has this card or has worked
>> with it and how it's supported. Thanks.
>>
>> - Michael
>
> In my case under F7, my GF6800GT (with the open source NV driver) detected my 24" Dell LCD and configured the resolution (without having to manually set the mode-line) out of the box.
> You might want to considering using the binary (closed source) drivers, if you require any type of 3D acceleration.
>
> - Gilboa

I installed F7 on my machine at home and it worked with 3D out of the
box using the OpenSource driver.  I have a 5000 series card in it.

I put the Nvidia drive in (livna) and now I have some issues but I am
not sure where these come from yet.  Video resolution and mouse features
changed.

FWIW, Nvidia seems to suppor Linux much better than ATI has.  Heck, I
know Windows people that tell me the same thing.

--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.