Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 04:17:12 UTC 2007

on 7/3/2007 7:52 PM, Thufir wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 17:30:31 -0700, David Boles wrote:
>

>>> I see what you mean.  That would be nice, but I'd simply rather have
>>> more packages in fedora yum and better integration with other yum
>>> repositories, like one-click to add livna, for example.
>>>
>>> Given limited resources, that's my preference, at least.
>>>
>>> -Thufir
>>>

>> Fedora is in the USA and they can not provide that information about
>> 'third party sites'. Or even acknowledge that they exits as I understand
>> it. So I greatly doubt you will get a click 'n' go link from within
>> Fedora.  ;-)
>
> I don't think that it has to do with being the US or not, it relates more
> to Fedora only distributing GPL packages.  That's the nature of the
> beast, and so be it.  I like that Fedora draws that line.
>
> However, rather than putting resources in mounting ntfs, which not
> everyone wants to do, I would prefer that resources be put towards making
> adding repo's more of a one click thing.  I'm always having to muck
> around with GPG and editing files, but YMMV.

I am not with Fedora but just a Fedora user for a long time. Fedora has
said this has to do with USA laws *and* company policy to only provide
FOSS. Which I think is a really goo thig.None of the third party sites
that I, myself, know of are in the USA. You can read that as you wish.

Have time for an example? Go here and read this please.

http://kerneltrap.org/node/7228

As for YMMV??  I have never had to edit any of the Fedora supplied repo
files. I rub rawhide which update daily. Nor have I ever had a problem
with the Fedora supplied GPG-KEY files. So what does this mean? Yes, my
mileage does vary from yours quite a bit. Either I am doing this
completely incorrectly and it just works for me? Ya' think? Or you are
doing something incorrectly, or expecting something that is not supposed
to be, and having problems.

As for more packages in Fedora??? Odd thing to say IMHO. There is
something like 9 Gigs of FOSS packaged rpms in Fedora 7 alone that are
available to all. For free.

So which package(s) is (are) do you think is (are) missing?
--

  David