NetworkManager things

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Jul 4 15:46:50 UTC 2007

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 06:38 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>> I found that the demons for NetworkManager and
>> NetworkManagerDispature are in the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ directory and you
>> can turn them on with, for example ./NetworkManager start and from then
>> on this demon will be put into the kernel every time you turn on your
>> computer.
> he above is in error. To turn them on takes:
> services NetworkManager start
>
> but to have them come on at boot run:
> chkconfig --level 35 NetworkManager on
> and
> chkconfig --level 35 NetworkManagerDispatcher on

You may want to skip the --level 35 option. If you do not specify
the levels, then the default of 2 through 5 are used, unless
overridden by the setting in the service control script. From "man
chkconfig:

By default, the on and off options affect only runlevels 2, 3, 4,
and 5, while reset affects all of the runlevels.  The --level option
may be used to specify which runlevels are affected.

From /usr/share/doc/initscripts-8.45.7/sysvinitfiles Tags section:

# chkconfig: <startlevellist> <startpriority> <endpriority>

        Required.  <startlevellist> is a list of levels in which
        the service should be started by default.  <startpriority>
        and <endpriority> are priority numbers.  For example:
        # chkconfig: 2345 20 80
        Read 'man chkconfig' for more information.

        Unless there is a VERY GOOD, EXPLICIT reason to the
        contrary, the <endpriority> should be equal to
        100 - <startpriority>

For example, you would not normally want any service that requires
networking to start at run level 1 or 2. On the other hand, you
probably want a service like syslog to be running on run level 2
through 5. So unless you have a specific reason for having a service
run at specific run levels, it is probably best to go with the
defaults specified in the service control file.

Mikkel