mc

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 5 03:28:25 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> LOL...  But that makes you do all the work, *it's* the bloody
>> computer.

Les Mikesell:
> How much work is it to type a 2 character command?

But that's not it, is it?  It's far more than typing in a command.
Typing ls, or mv, doesn't get me anywhere.  I have to cd to where the
files are, probably do mkdir a few times with a cd or two thrown in.
I've got to come up with a sane wildcard to move a collection of files,
or individually list a slew of files with no commonalities between them,
type in paths to move them too, ad infinitum.

Anybody who suggests that using the command line is far less work than
using a GUI has never used a decent GUI-based file manager.  A GUI tool
is about the only way to easily move arbitrary files about.  The fact
that Linux has crap GUI file tools, in general, doesn't make the CLI
superior in itself.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.