Module tricks

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Jul 5 23:06:34 UTC 2007

    It has been awhile since I cared what the kernel has in it. But as I
thought "lsmod" will list everything in the kernel and it still does. I
did a lsmod and found the modules for WiFi were not in the kernel. The
kernel I am using on the laptop is supposed to have all the WiFi modules.

    So I did a modprobe ipw2100 and it seemed to work. I looked with
lsmod and sure enough the it and ieee81102 was also in the kernel. It
didn't start WiFi working yet. I looked at /var/log/messages and it
showed both modules loading properly but for some reason NetworkManager
was not interested in finding WiFi. I need to do something else.

    Be aware that if you modprobe a module into the kernel it goes away
with a reboot.

Karl