Login Problem please help

Simon Andrews simon.andrews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Jul 6 11:35:07 UTC 2007

konias wrote:
> Hi all
> My Fc5 Pc had been shutdown due an unexpected power loss
> After restart i cant login ....like someone changed roots password...
> any ideas???

If this happened after a power cut then it's possible that your disk has
become corrupted, which might have all sorts of odd effects.

Try booting off a rescue CD (you can use the first install CD for this
and type "linux rescue" at the boot prompt) and running an fsck over the
disk to fix any errors (e2fsck -p /dev/hda1 [replace /dev/hda1 with the
actual name of your drive partitions - repeat for each partition]).

If it still doesn't work then let us know what errors you are getting
and whether you're using a graphical or text based login.  If you've
only tried a graphical login then press Control+Alt+F1 and try to log in
on a console and see if you see any messages.